Nothing will add curb appeal or make your garage more functional quite like the right door. If your old one is in poor condition or you have decided your home needs a facelift, there is no need to settle for a standard door where there are numerous styles from which to choose. A few choices you may want to keep in mind include:
- Raised panel doors, which are one of the most common types and are identified by elevated rectangular blocks surrounded by a flat surface. Raised panel doors add visual interest, and are perfect whenever you would like to upgrade your look, yet do not want your garage door to become a focal point.
- Slab doors, or ones in which the door consists of a single panel and folds upward at an angle are coming back into style these days. These doors work great on garages where smaller vehicles such as garden tractors are stored.
- Carriage doors, a classic style that resembles a barn door. Often made from wood, they are the ideal choice for log or other structures that have a rustic appearance.
- Contemporary doors, which may contain features such as brushed aluminum panels or tempered glass. Contemporary garage doors are a great choice if you desire clean lines to help balance out other architectural features.
Variety of Materials
The above styles of garage door can be found in a variety of materials such as:
- Wood and wood composite, which provide an authentic appearance for carriage-style doors.
- Vinyl, a type hailed for requiring very little maintenance.
- Steel, which allows for optimum security because it is difficult to break into.
- Fiberglass, a choice known for its insulating properties.